Today I will talk about doing SEO before and after uploading YouTube Videos. I will shed some light on some tips on how to do SEO for YouTube Videos.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for – Search Engine Optimization. That is, optimizing your YouTube videos in such a way that Google/YouTube think that your video is a good one and should be presented to people. When Google search engine or YouTube bot think that your video/post will be necessary for people than it shows it to people. And thus your video or website get popularity.
There are numerous articles on SEO. But I thought to share my two cents with you guys.
Off-Page SEO for YouTube Contents SEO before uploading video
First, you have to complete the editing of your videos. After editing but before uploading doing some off-page SEO will help your video to rank better.
- Naming the content – The name of the content should be related to the topic of the video. It should never be something unrelated to the video. Then from the media property of the video, in the details section add some correct information about the video. Correct information of title, subtitle, ranking mark, tag, comment, author name etc. should be given. The screenshots below will give you some understanding –
Is Off-page SEO only for videos?
No, Off-Page SEO is not only for videos. You must perform Off-Page SEO for the thumbnails of your videos. When creating thumbnails, make sure to save them in “jpg” format. If the thumbnails are saved in “png” format, then you will not be able to do Off-Page SEO.
Perform On-Page SEO when uploading videos:
Performing On-Page SEO is a little bit of hard work. Here, you have to be real patient. First, the videos should be uploaded as unlisted. Then the On-Page SEO should be done. The following steps must be followed to perform On-Page SEO.
- Chose the title carefully: The title of the video should be chosen carefully. The title should be closely related to the subject matter. Suppose, you are uploading a video on SEO. Then think which type of title will be able to grasp the attention of the viewers. You can check the strength of a content title using various free tools available. VidIQ, TubeBuddy are such tools which can be added to chromium based browsers such as Google Chrome, opera, Vivaldi etc.
- Writing a description in the right way – YouTube gives 5000 characters for the description of a video. If you write a description in 100/200 characters than it will not do any good. You have to write a description of the content at least in 1500-2000 characters. This way your video will get the attention of YouTube bot and rank better. In description give your social media links, website links, and video related keywords, these will help you to cross the 1500-2000 characters threshold.
- Selecting tags – selecting tags for SEO is a very important part of On-Page SEO. Some people use unrelated, unnecessary tags thinking that it will help to rank better. Never do this! This will affect your content badly. YouTube has come a long way. Rules and regulations are very strict now. And their AI bot is very intelligent. So, tag the contents carefully with related tags. YouTube has set 500 character limit for tags. I suggest adding tags to 200-400 characters, not more than that or not less than that
Some SEOs to do after 100% uploading
When the uploading is done then do this following tasks
- End Screen – adding links to your other videos at the end of the video. This will increase the views of your videos. Suppose, when uploading an SEO related video, you have added links to some other SEO related videos that you have uploaded previously. When, on reaching the end of the video, people see those other related video links they will most probably visit those links, given that they have enjoyed your current video. This strategy also helps the viewers to find your other videos. They won’t have to search through your channel for other videos. In a few words, end screen is displaying your video links in a nicer & easy way.
- Cards – Card is a way of displaying some of your video links inside the current video. When a video is being played there is an “ i ” symbol at the upper right corner of the video. When a user clicks on that symbol, a menu comes from the right side of the video containing some other video or playlist links. If a viewer likes your video then he/she might visit some of those videos.
- Subtitle – If your video is in some foreign language other than English. Then, try to add English subtitle of the video. This will make your video more user-friendly and help it rank better.
- Sharing on Social Media – If you make your video for earning from Google AdSense. Then, after changing the privacy of the video from unlisted to the public, you must share the video on different social media websites. This will help you to get more views.
So, you see, that on-page SEO takes some time to do. Some task is done when uploading video and some are done after uploading the video.
I will write more on SEO in the future. If you like this article, then share and spread the goodness. If you have any question or opinion then comment below.